squeeze1234 wrote:
> Comcast at this location doesn't hand out long lifetime leases. Their
> current DHCP leases only last for 24 hours.  So it's very likely that
> I'll run into an address conflict when I try to sneak in and assign a
> fixed address to my device from within the range of their DHCP leases.
>
> In fact, I know something like this already happens because once or
> twice a week, I'll get a Windows pop up on my LMS computer (which
> receives a proper DHCP assigned address) telling me that there's an
> address conflict with my IP address on the network. All that means is
> that one of my neighbors in this apartment complex (all of whom use
> Comcast for their ISP) decided to assign a fixed address to one of their
> computers, and their fixed address choice conflicted with my DHCP
> assigned address.
>
> I would definitely think about your suggestion if these Comcast lease
> lifetimes were for a month or more.

This points to another reason to why should have your own router if your
neighbours can interfer ,your "local" lan is really the lan for the
whole apartment complex which means that you are on the same network ,
this also means that your lms server and web-UI is avaible to all the
neighbours if they knew the ip ,in fact if they get themselves a
squeezebox it is very likely that it connects to your lms server
automatically (and the other way around, if they where to run LMS you
would have more servers to choose from ) . LMS broadcast it presence on
port 3483 UDP this means that all squeezeboxes and software
squeezeplayers in the whole house are immediately aware of your server
?
Worst case a neighbour is running a dhcp server ?

Running a local lan I never ever seen this happen in any circumstance ?
so i think you should try a router , just borrow one and see if not gets
a proper address I suspect it does . ime factory reset really cleans out
all this stuff ?