Thanks.  I downloaded full patch as suggested and at same time updated
Triode's version to the alpha version you mentioned.  Same result.  Have
read many articles indicating BBC is cracking down on non-UK users who
pirate their stuff for no license fee (I take their point-just make it
accessible, and some might even pay-it's quality stuff!!!)  Maybe this
is the start of that regime?
PS I know it's the middle of the night there, so not expecting any
instant reply, but your help is most welcome whenever.  PPS Rainy and
crappy weather here in Vancouver, unlike UK where all seemed sunny and
bright today.