I had the same problem since a week or two. After checking the same
things you did (another battery, no battery and measuring the power
supply (did not open the case!)) i found that, without a battery
installed, it would boot up SOME of the times but shut off unexpectedly
afterwards.
This led me to fiddling with the power supply connector at the back of
the radio - and sure enough it would boot when i held it in a certain
position, and shut off when i would move it just a tiny bit!

So i believe now it is just a matter of fitting the connector correctly
and somehow keep it that way!

1x SB3 Classic, 1x SB Radio, 1x SB Boom, 1x Squeezebox 1 (not used atm),
Squeezecommander for Android
Squeezeboxserver 7.7.2 on P4@2.6GHz 3GB RAM, running Vortexbox 2.2
(Fedora16)
48k library, clear and rescan ~40 min (mem use=high) on ramdisk

My Music: http://last.fm/user/ghan64