Thanks for the replies. The remote works fine. But I listen to the radio
in bed with headphones and any sleepy attempt to manipulate the remote
usually ends with me dropping it on the floor. The ease of manipulating
the physical controls of the SBR in the dark was what clinched it for me
in the first place and is why I have no wish to replace it. The nearest
equivalent I can find is the Sangean Wfr-27/28/29 range as they have 5
presets but they're a bit top heavy and I'm sure they'd just tip over if
used in bed. And anyway, who wants to dump a working squeezebox now the
iPlayer is working again (thanks all involved). The Sangean/Roberts
still can't do Listen Again, according to what Roberts told me this
week.

Is there any maintenance possible to improve a poor connection perhaps?
I find if I tug on the knob very hard it reacts much better.

LMS Squeezeplug on SheevaPlug
Squeezebox Radio x 2