c...@isbd.net wrote:
> My radio (original, not UE) just died.  It was on standby showing the
> time yesterday and now it's just totally powered down.
>
> I've checked the wall-wart PSU and it is still putting out 18 volts on
> the concentric connector that goes into the back of the radio.
>
> What's the most likely cause of this total failure?  Is there an
> internal PSU inside which fails?
>
> I am reasonably proficient in electronics, I can solder and replace
> chips, etc.  and have quite a range of test equipment (including a
> 'scope even!).  However I'm not really keen to attack surface mount
> devices.
>
> --
> Chris Green

Hi Chris,

Have you checked the amperage output; on other threads about (I think it
is a receiver model) several people have found that when the component
fails

to start, the power supply is still showing sufficient voltage by
measurement but not supplying enough current to start the component.

Can you source a supply of 18 volts and maybe 2amps or so?

Just a suggestion :)

atb

Ronnie.