Since this is the most detailed thread on this topic, let me add my own
experiences:

- I have three Squeezebox Radio devices in my house
- Two of the devices work OK with auto-selection of the Wi-Fi channel
- One of them only works with Wi-Fi locked on channel 6. As described
  here, if the channel is allowed to float then the radio will
  intermittently lose connection to Wi-Fi and require rebooting to
  restore functionality.
- The two devices that work are UE Radios "downgraded" to work like
  Squeezebox Radios. The one that requires locking is a Logitech
  Squeezebox Radio (pre-UE)

This has been reproduced multiple times - mostly recently when I changed
my wireless access points. By default, the channel was auto-selected and
my Radio started acting up again after being stable for years after
locking to channel 6.