Success running a 7.8.0 build on my radio and so far the results have
been positive.

To be able to make trackable updates to the various subsystems, I've
moved to 'forks of the logitech repositories'
(https://github.com/ralph-irving/squeezeos/commit/ba2bffadb9f1c1b77eee1b1c08a7985eeb97e14e).
I removed the aac and random album menu patches from the squeezeos
squeezeplay recipe and committed them to the logitech squeezeplay fork,
where they really belong.

The baby dsp module loads and works with the new firmware.  The default
buffer should be changed to 30ms (29991) and 3 periods instead of the
current default 20/2, based on mrw's findings in the 'Bass Amp Problem
thread'
(https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104141-Bass-amp-problem&p=962108&viewfull=1#post962108).

As an extra safety net, I temporarily re-enabled the telnet daemon so
you can connect to the radio using telnet as well and ssh, which is also
enabled by default.  I have not committed these 2 changes.

Rhapsody (Rhap) is another missing features in the community build
verses stock as indicated by the capabilities squeezeplay publishes to
LMS at startup.  Spotify (spt,spdr,Spdirect=spotify) and Windows Media
(wma,wmap,wmal) were previously noted.  Ogg/flac (ogf) support has been
flawless so far with the Radio Paradise flac stream, which I would
expect as support has been in the touch firmware for ages.

Logitech 7.7.3-r16676.

Code:
--------------------
    Model=baby,ModelName=Squeezebox
Radio,Firmware=7.7.3-r16676,*Rhap*,alc,*wma,wmap,wmal,*aac,*spt,*ogg,flc,aif,pcm,mp3,MaxSampleRate=48000,AccuratePlayPoints,*spdr,Spdirect=spotify,*ImmediateCrossfade,test,Rtmp=2,Proxy=192.168.7.231:9001
--------------------

Community 7.8.0-r16764

Code:
--------------------
    Model=baby,ModelName=Squeezebox
Radio,Firmware=7.8.0r16764,alc,*aac,*ogg,*ogf,*flc,aif,pcm,mp3,MaxSampleRate=48000,AccuratePlayPoints,ImmediateCrossfade,test,Rtmp=2,Proxy=192.168.7.231:9001
--------------------

Performance of the radio with 7.8 has been on par with the previous 7.7.
It's unclear what I was experiencing previously with the 7.8 test jive
binary running on a 7.7 firmware.

The openssh library 0.9.8g needs to be updated, but that requires a lot
of qemu testing before flashing it to the radio.

The radio does support rolling back one firmware version;

1) Turn Radio off: Press & hold the power button till you see "Goodbye"
2) Turn back on: Press & hold REW and PWR buttons simultaneously.

I have not needed to resort to using it so far, thankfully.

More testing is required before I'd consider making the build available
to everyone.  However, if you'd like to try the build, send me a PM.  *I
have not tried to downgrade the radio back to the stock firmware yet so
I can't confirm it's even possible at the moment*.  But as long as you
only flash the radio once, you should be able to revert to 7.7 using the
roll back procedure.

Ralphy

*1*-Touch, *5*-Classics, *3*-Booms, *1*-UE Radio
'Squeezebox client builds'
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmsclients/files/) 'donations'
(https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=LL5P6365KQEXN&lc=CA&item_name=Squeezebox%20client%20builds&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donate_SM%2egif%3aNonHosted)
always appreciated.