Same here - I feared I'd need to replace the encoder, but it turned out
to be much easier.

This morning, I decided to fix my microwave, which had a non-working
encoder.  I'd always assumed it was optical, but a Youtube clip
suggested it was physical and that opening up the encoder and cleaning
it would fix things.  Unfortunately, it wasn't possible to open the
encoder, so I simply sprayed Servisol contact cleaner on it, rotated the
shaft, cleaned, and re-assembled - all fully working.

Emboldened by this, I went to attack my Squeezebox Radio this afternoon.
Discovered that I didn't even need to disassemble it, I simply pulled
off the volument knob, sprayed, rotated, cleaned, replaced knob.  All
now fab - let's see if it's a long lasting fix.

I get the impression that quite a few items like this have grease
applied to some moving parts that, with age, migrates to the contacts,
attracts crud, and stops them working.