@Ian -

The fact that you can hold the power button down and all is well, makes
no sense to me. The switch appears to be momentary, not maintain.

So after thinking about it, I thought of something unlikely, but maybe
possible. The power supplies tend to fail over time, but also, with the
booms and radios, the DC connector (in the radio) can become
intermittent, even non functional. Cleaning with deoxit has helped some,
replacing the jack others. I have a boom that sits in one place and
works, but if I move it, I have to "wiggle" the connector. It's on the
list to fix :)

So, maybe, when you "release" the power button you are physically
disturbing this connection? A related thought is that the power supply
is failing (supplying enough voltage, but not enough current as the
device demands more). I know nothing of the powerup sequence, but maybe
holding the button in allows the less than able supply to be enough?

Power supplies are cheap, about $10USD here in the states - amazon,
ebay

Jim