This is a great thread so far. It is actually more diverse than I
thought it would be!

> What is your favourite:
> ... Shell?

zsh. I have my .zshrc customized quite a bit. You can find all my
dotfiles in github: http://github.com/jasoncwarner/dotfiles

Also experimenting with dTerm in addition to having zsh as my default
terminal.

> ... Text editor? And text editor macros?

I usually have two open at any one time, which some people say is odd.
I start with VIM with nerdtree, fuzzyfinder, snippets etc. The entire
config is on github under my dotfiles project as well:
http://github.com/jasoncwarner/dotfiles.

I also have Textmate with lots of bundles.

Lastly, I have Netbeans 6.8 with jVi plugin. I don't use this all that
much, but sometimes it is nice as a change of pace. Netbeans 6.8 is a
great IDE and when I have to do Groovy/Grails it is the only thing I
use.

> ... Operating system and extensions?

OSX

> ... Rails runtime configuration?

Everything I have deployed is on Heroku or GAE via JRuby

> ... Deployment database?

Postgresql because of Heroku and BigTable because of GAE

> ... Hosting environment?

See above.

> ... tail -f or another log viewer?

Plain ole boring 'tail -f'