FWIW (having no experience w/ Lockdown), my take on authorization is that
it's usually core application behaviour, such that the  best approach is to
write your own "as simple as it can be, but no simpler" implementation using
common conventions.

I usually use restful_authentication as a base and customize / add
authorization on top of it, which means most libraries you might want to add
later will find something they can hook into. Hassox's Warden might also
provide a nice starting point. Whatever the base, I'd stick with something
simple and widely used.

Interesting to see Phan's experience with Authlogic ...

YMMV

cheers,
DL