If you're hand-writing complex queries that for one reason or another
rely on features that are only available to one SGDB in particular,
then here's part of the cost for doing so.

I wouldn't say it means the idea of in-memory databases is a bad one
unless you're leaning a lot of your logic against the DB as opposed to
relying on a ORM. If you don't, then you can have a production system
running on PostgreSQL, in-memory SQLite databases for tests, and so
on.

http://crazyhollywood.org