I was wondering the same thing, there don't seem to be many.  It is
exceptionally slow to display the first page after the login.

But that should only be a problem if there's a whole heap of data in
there; what's the largest table?  Also, my question about the RAM was
actually how much is being used; not what the total capacity is --
it's hard to tell whether swapping is the problem or not without
knowing that.  So, how much does each passenger process use; how much
is the DB using?  How much do they use when you've just started them,
vs when you've done a few requests?

I don't know much about the Maria storage engine; but it does seem
like it might well be the DB rather than Rails.  I had a quick look
through your code, but I couldn't see any huge errors; it looks like
the sort of code that could run well.  (There are a few things I'd
change, but not much to do with performance.)