Ah yes, the Melbourne/this discussion has occurred before argument has
been put well already.

On the other hand, I went to RubyConf India recently, and could ask if
some of the people who organised that might have any tips for you.
Might be worth doing. I enjoyed it a great deal, but saw that the
conference was the result of many sleepless nights on the part of
those who put it together.

Cheers,
N.