Not saying that specifically to Mark who asked the original question.

If you're like me and you tend to fall asleep while reading a book
that tells you why the 3rd frontal lobe from left to right tends to
like two squares next to each other when you put a rounded border at
the bottom left of the right hand one, I suggest you do two things:

1) pick up some good skills with Illustrator, Photoshop, or
Pixelmator. There's an endless stream of blogs with good material.
Chris Spooner runs a pretty good one at
http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/.
2) learn a style of design (e.g.: print design, posters, ads), then
apply it to web design. Seriously, anyone can design websites that
just look like... websites. That's like saying food should have just
salt and nothing else.

Then yeah, read books such as the ones suggested.

http://awesomebydesign.com