I find that using versioning for records that are shared among many
users always turns out to be a good choice from a usability
perspective. Display somewhere on the interface something like:

- Update by John Doe at <time>
- Update by Jane Doe at <time>
- etc...

Make those changes viewable by the users, so everyone knows where
changes are coming from.

If you're concerned about generating too many records, save up to,
say, 20 versions maximum.

http://awesomebydesign.com