On 27/11/2010, at 11:19 PM, Robert Postill wrote:
You know that rubygems

Rubygems is dual-licensed, GPL and a custom license.

and I think ruby's SSL are GPL code right?

OpenSSL is dual-licensed: <http://www.openssl.org/source/license.html>.
Ruby's OpenSSL wrapper is licensed under the Ruby license.

We depend on massive wedges of GPL software (e.g. mysql or
postgres)

MySQL is dual-licensed, and even the GPL license they use is modified
so as to remove the GPL restrictions for its use in FOSS.
<http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/oem/>

Postgres is released under its own license, similar to BSD or MIT.
<http://www.postgresql.org/about/licence>

I' a grumpy man about this stuff because I'm old enough to remember

I'm a grumpy old man about this stuff because people spout off about it
without checking their facts :).

the (end, definitely the end of :) bad old days of proprietary UNIX
and how we lost so much software because we didn't understand the
value of freedom.

Most of the original UNIX code wasn't that good(*), and anything worthwhile from it has been rewritten much better than original. That needs to happen
to all software, at least once. It's a net gain, not a loss.

(*) I ported and extended AT&T Unix, and used to spend hours reading
the source. The culture of handling and reporting errors is woeful, with
so many error conditions simply ignored, or under-reported. "No such
file or directory" indeed. Well - which is it, a file, or a directory? How 'bout
you tell me *which* file of directory you were expecting? Humbug. This
poor culture continues today, unfortunately.

MIT is an awesome license but people can and should
chose other licenses for their software.

I don't agree with that. GPL had its place, but software freedom is firmly
established now and copyleft is just not needed - in fact it's counter-
productive.

Clifford Heath (the first Unix geek graduate in Melbourne).