Maybe you don't need to replicate MS Project or Omniplan's interface
for it to be usable. Why not a Google Calendar-like one? Personal
preference aside, for the task you just describe, it's suitable.

> - would you stick with Rails/JS or go with
> Flash/Air/whatever-that-microsoft-one-is?

Rails/JS. Though I'm no expert in Flash/Air to judge how easier/harder
it would be. I tend to think you'd be painting yourself against a
corner by going down that route.

> - how much is a Rails/jQuery guru of the required calibre?

If the requirements are really just the ones you've mentioned,
back-end wise it's dead easy to built. As for the interface, not so
much. But perhaps you don't have to start from scratch →
http://www.queness.com/post/656/10-beautiful-jquery-and-mootool-calendar-plugins

> - do you think the time estimate is feasible?

Yes. Should the requirements stay as such.

http://awesomebydesign.com