On 23/04/2012, at 3:20 PM, Julian Doherty wrote:
> TL;DR version?

I only recall some of the discussion, but the gist was along these lines:

* Not everyone who wants to come can (or even should) be accommodated,

* Making the camp big enough to accommodate all would spoil its vibe,

* More camps, in more locations, more frequently, is the best solution,

* There is no system for ticket allocation that's fair to everyone,

* Students deserve special treatment (as we see in this round for example),

* A lottery would fail to discriminate between people who care enough to focus
  on getting a booking from those who are a bit meh about the whole thing
anyhow,

* Multiple separate ticket releases allow folk who care and who intend to get a
  ticket but for genuine reasons fail to, to have a second and/or third chance.

Someone else may add further bullet points. Suffice to say that many alternative
methods of allocation were mooted and discarded as being equally unfair and/or
infeasible. If you want to propose a system you think might be better, please
read
the history first to see what arguments might have been raised against it.

Clifford Heath.