There are trade-offs to all methods, with plain old object comparison,
you pay the price right up front, i.e. a small performance hit. But
the benefit is that the semantics are crystal clear.

With event subscription, you pay a different price many times over.
You introduce subtle semantic problems. The most insidious, being
what order events are fired and processed, especially when the events
are also firing other events.