I asked a similar question a while back:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/rails-Oceania/boilerplate/rails-oceania/AH6yUyZKHHI/crUKG2QSE4MJ
Answer seems to be what ever works for you... ultimately it's about
learning CSS3 and HTML5 (not about rails/gems per se).

I ended up going with Twitter Bootstrap, mixed in some media queries from
'320 and Up' and added Font Awesome, happy with the result.

Regards,
Stonie.