On a somewhat related note, I feel that for the next newbie night, there should
be more emphasis on why we do things, rather than the how. Getting into Ruby on
Rails is not an easy task especially when everyone is telling you to test,
worry about architecture, performance and security.

It might be obvious to the rest of us, but personally I don't fully understood
concepts until the "why" made sense to me. For example, I never fully
understood testing until I had an app grow big and complex and had to deal with
bugs.

I feel it's more valuable to guide people to make mistakes that everyone once
made, then teach them how to fix them.

Just my 2c.

chendo