Thanks Pat and Mario,

You found good words to express those ideas that the community does support.

I believe there is a related issue on which there is less consensus:
positive discrimination. Compelling arguments can be made in favour of
positive discrimination, but I think it is a tool to be used with great
caution.

The wording of the Berlin community's statement, in particular, seems to
oppose it:

"We strongly oppose any form of harassment or discrimination, including,
but not limited to, all forms of sexism and racism."

But there have been times when I felt an excess of gender-specific
activities or discussion in forums where I expected the focus to be on
technology and open access.

I don't think that the issue of positive discrimination is the most
important one in the area. I just wanted to take the opportunity to note
that there are a range of attitudes towards it, and a range of approaches
to achieving it's aims.

Cheers,
Chris