On 10/24/18 13:28 , heasley wrote:
> Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 03:19:00PM -0700, Erik Muller:
>> So here's an odd thing I just ran across.  Running clogin with a script with
>> multiple blank lines has some very unexpected behaviour.  It looks like it's
>> turning \n\n into \n;, with the net effect of commenting out any command
>> that follows two blank lines.  Reproducible on ubuntu 12.04 and OSX 10.13
>> with stock 3.8 source.  Works as expected in 2.3.8 ubuntu packages.
>>
>> The culprit is definitely in the "# handle escaped ;s in commands, and ;;
>> and ^;" section of clogin (rolling that block back to what was in 2.3.8
>> fixes it), but trying to grok that in expect language to provide a real fix
>> makes my head hurt, so I'll leave this as a bug report.  Examples below.
>>
>> thanks,
>> -e
>
> I believe that patch addresses this bug.

That definitely fixes the blanks-may-comment-the-next-line issue, though it
looks like it also breaks handling of escaped ;s as well.

before:
$ clogin-3.8 -c 'sh ip bgp nei | inc 1\; ; show ver | inc ^Model Num' fl1-as01
fl1-as01#sh ip bgp nei | inc 1;
  Route to peer address reachability Up: 1; Down: 0
  Connections established 1; dropped 0

with patch:
$ clogin -c 'sh ip bgp nei | inc 1\; ; show ver | inc ^Model Num' fl1-as01
fl1-as01#sh ip bgp nei | inc 1
BGP neighbor is x.x.x.x,  remote AS 4200000000, external link

And it seems to eat leading semicolon comments as well:

$ cat ~/clogin-blanks-test2
show bridge
; just a comment
$ clogin -x ~/clogin-blanks-test2 fl1-as01.polaris.corp
fl1-as01#show bridge
fl1-as01#
fl1-as01#
fl1-as01#