Sounds like <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAT-81>

> [INFO] --- apache-rat-plugin:0.7:check (default) @ schema2template ---
> [INFO] Exclude: src/test/resources/examples/odf/*.ref

You should give RAT 0.8 a try.

> * First how can the nightly build pass and the local build fail?

Because they use different VMs with different behavior in the face of
encoding errors.

> * Second of all would be possible to list the files that did not pass?

Maven is not really an area of expertise for me.  The projects I'm
involved in use Ant or they use rat:report rather than check and get the
list as part of the report.

Stefan