Hi all,

Using RBASE 9.5 (32) 9.5.5.30128

My predecessor,  mentioned more than once;  when you have tables with Column(s)
as Data Type NOTE; you should try to keep the NOTE column(s) at the end of the
table structure.
For table OldTable, NOTE column is at end of table, even thou many fields have
been added since the Note column was created.

So now I want to add another column NewColumn Currency to table OldTable.
When I write a command ALTER TABLE OldTable ADD Column NewColumn CURRENCY
It places the column at the end of table, after the OldNote NOTE column.

OldTable is an very wide table (currently 105 columns) with over 320,000
records.
OldTable is one of the main tables in the database, so it is highly
critical/used table.

Does keeping NOTE columns at the end table structure have any advantages?

Is there a way to ADD a column between 2 existing columns?

1)      GUI Tables\Design Table\Modify Existing Table – should work – any
issues with this method on a large table?

2)      UNLOAD Structure A.Str, Unload Data, drop table, modify A.str to add
new column.  Run A.str then reload data

Any insight/clues would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Lena Dammstrom

[cid:image461138.JPG@7cf72b78.44a5fb0a]<http://www.qmiusa.com/>

Lena Dammstrom