Greetings:

I would like to devise a method that would send an e-mail when my database
reload routine fails such that R:BASE hangs.

I have a program that performs an UNLOAD ALL and then rebuilds a fresh
version of the database.  This works flawlessly 99.99% of the time.

The program sends me an initial e-mail that notifies me that the database
is being rebuilt and that it will be unavailable for a period of time.

When the program completes, it sends a follow-up e-mail notifying me that
the rebuild process is complete.  An AUTOCHK is performed to alert me if
an error is found in the rebuilt database.

I would like to devise a more robust way that would send an e-mail if the
rebuild process hangs and R:BASE is locked up.  I could generate and send
a text message to my cell phone from R:MAIL to notify me.

I considered an ON ERROR approach but if R:BASE hangs I don't think that
would capture the event so that an e-mail could be generated.

I also thought about a separate program that would act as a timer so that
if the process is not complete within  a certain time frame a warning
message could be sent.

Preferably the entire UNLOAD/rebuild process could be self-contained.  I
seem to recall that there used to be a SPAWN command in early versions of
R:BASE that allowed for the launching of an entirely separate process from
the main process.

Any suggestions, guidance or recommendations would be most graciously
appreciated.

Best regards.

Mike Ramsour
AK Steel Coshocton Works
Quality Department
Phone:  740-829-4340
Cell:  740-502-1659

Confidentiality Notice
This message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it
is addressed and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private
information.
If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print,
retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it.  If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail
and delete all copies of the message.