Very cool lighting system, I must say.

It is possible to ride 32s with fenders on a Romulus.  I did it.  But I had to
remove the fenders because there was so little clearance.  The problem with
such tight clearance is that whenever you ride on wettish canal path or dirt
road, the very fenders that protect us (and our chain) from the splatter tend
to clog up with leaves or worse, pebbles.  A larger pebble could cause an
accident if caught up in there.

Bikes in Europe where bikes with fenders rule have no less than an inch of
clearance.  This is for safety.  Also, what if it snows?  Your not going
anywhere with only 1/4 inch of clearance.

Sometimes when I would hit a bump, the fender would twist or come out of true
and would rub no matter how carefully I secured the fender.  Have to get off
bike and adjust much to the chagrin of my fellow roadies.  One time the tiny
bolt holding the rear fender to the seat stay bridge (real bad design) loosened
up a tad.  I couldn't get in there to tighten it quickly and had to remove the
rear wheel in the rain.  Trust me, I had loctite on it and it still loosened.

Speaking of seat stay bridges, mine is too close to the tire and I have to
deflate the tire to get the rear wheel off with fenders mounted.  Reinstalling
the fenders, which I did once, takes easily an hour of adjusting and
readjusting so no rubbing.  It shouldn't take that long to slap on a pair of
fenders.

Never-the-less, I have a set of hardly used stainless steel Berthouds with rear
Spanninga light--fenders stays never cut down to size, if anyone is interested.