On Dec 4, 8:49 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Quoting james black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>

> > On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Hank Wirtz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> Three of the four wire-bead ones I've bought (two in 700x28, one in
> >> 26x1.75) have blown off their rims. with the 700s, it happened on two
> >> different rims, a Torelli Master and an Ambrosio Evolution.
>
> > As a data point, I mention that I have been using wire bead "700c x
> > 32mm" (actual 27mm) Paselas on my Torelli Master rims for thousands of
> > miles, and everything works perfectly. The Paselas are a little less
> > difficult to mount on these largish rims than my previous tires,
> > Avocet Fasgrips. I don't know what is causing Hank's problem - I would
> > be inclined to support the QC theory - maybe your tires are from a bad
> > batch?
>
> Two more likely bets, IMO, would be either poor mounting technique or
> the use of tubes that are a bit too large.  The result in either case
> would be a bit of tube caught under the bead, which eventually will
> lever the tire off the rim.

I'd be willing to cop that for the first one, which was mounted
hastily with a "700x28-32" tube, but after the first blowoff, I used a
"19-26" tube inflated round, to make folds impossible, but still
smaller than the tire chamber. Once the beads were seated and
carefully examined for evenness around the rim, and no pinched tube
between the beads, I inflated to 45psi, checked the bead again, then
to 75, checked again, then to 95, and checked again. It sat unridden
for a week, topped off to 95 again before riding 17 miles to work. On
the way home, while riding in a straight line, I heard a thump-thump-
thump, looked down and the bead had unseated on my front tire. I
stopped hard and tried to deflate it before the tube blew, but it blew
as I was unscrewing the valve stem.

If you want to call that poor mounting technique, then you've got
higher standards than me.

The 26x1.75 blew off on the rack at work. It was at 50psi, sidewall
listed 40-65. Tube was a 26x1.25-1.5.