On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 16:06 -0800, Invisible wrote:
> I know that threaded headsets are reliable, of course. But headsets
> use bearings and as such will occasionally require service. I'd prefer
> to have a part that I can disassemble (if necessary) on tour with just
> a 5mm Allen wrench, instead of a couple of tools (32/35mm cone
> wrenches) that have no other use on a bicycle. If nothing else, I can
> save $30 by not having to buy the wrenches.
>
> A lesser quibble is that a clamping stem (as in threadless-type stems)
> seems like a better design than the expanding wedge bolt on a threaded-
> type stem. And finally, I like stems where a cap pops off to release
> the handlebars over Nitto's design that requires sliding half the
> handlebar through the stem clamp. Changing handlebars is a lot faster/
> easier without unwinding all that bar tape and taking off a brake
> lever. But I don't want to start an argument over this, I just want to
> know whether I can get an Rivendell sells uncut forks for use with a
> 1" threadless headset - and if so, how long is the steerer.

For that, I think you'd best call them.

As for the other, those may well be perfectly valid reasons to prefer a
threadless setup, if that's the way your taste runs.  It's certainly a
royal pain to have a threaded headset loosen on tour with no hope of
finding a proper tool to tighten it, as happened to a guy I was riding
with on tour in the Black Hills of SD this summer.  Of course, he
brought it on himself: loosened the headset at home, forgot to tighten
it, brought the tools with him to SD, fixing to do it before we set out,
and he didn't remember it until we were 30 miles down the road.

> And I'd always thought that threaded steer tubes have to be cut to
> length just like threadless ones do - in fact, I thought it was more
> important to cut a threaded steerer to length. Otherwise how can a
> fork fit different-sized bikes with different-sized headtubes?

I suppose somewhere in the manufacturing process steerer tubes have to
be cut to length, but I've never seen a new bike with a threaded headset
where it was an owner's responsibility to do that -- bikes come with
forks installed, and part of that is to see to it that the steerer is
the right length.  Of course, when you can adjust handlebar height by
simply moving the stem, the whole process becomes far less critical.