Quoting rob markwardt <robmar...@hotmail.com>:

> The whole discount thing was a little unclear. I read it several times
> and still kind of thought it was a discount for all members who had
> been affected by the poor economy.  Too many ifs, ands, and ors...
> (apostrophe or not?).

Here's what they said:
<quote>

1. You or your spouse has lost a job because of the economy, so you've
lost a huge chunk of income because of the economy.

2. You are retired AND living off your stocks, which have crashed, and
you've lost enough of your retirement income that without the
discount, you couldn't afford anything.

</quote>

Dramatically narrowed scope than originally proposed, and as I said,
clearly enough to disqualify me (and any other retired government
employee, or retiree with a part-time job).

I'd have been a lot happier if the discount were smaller, so they
weren't actually making zero profit, but were more widely available.
It felt a lot like put-and-take.