  From: Doug Peterson
  To: internet-...@bikelist.org ; rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com ;
bicyclelifest...@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2009 10:05 AM
  Subject: [RBW] handlebar lifespan?

  Do you replace your handlebars on a regular basis?

  Years ago, a friend had his handlebars snap off near the stem, resulting in a
shoulder dislocating crash & only luck kept him from being hit by a car.  When
I mentioned this incident, several riders had similar experiences.  Since then,
I’ve taken the precaution of replacing bars every 5 years on the bike I ride
all the time.  FWIW, I’ve also had 2 aluminum frames fail so perhaps I’m just a
klutz.

  dougP