On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 4:16 PM, JL <subfas...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I may be alone in this but I
> think a low priced road intended production model from Rivendell would
> be a bad idea, albeit one that would sell.

You don't give a reason, though you say things that allow one to guess or
surmise about a reason. But why exactly? Too much competition? But no,
there's not, because (1) Grant's bikes ride differently and (2) there is the
marketing allure of the link to the RB-1. Other reasons?

> That said, I think a new
> Ram style model would really enhance the line of available models.  To
> set it apart from many of the competing brands' models this new model
> should be extra fancy.

Why, if even a lower end model will have qualities that set it apart?

This way Rivendell has a beautiful, well
> planned, agile, road bike - probably offered at the same price as some
> customs (from less established builders?) - but with less wait time
> (once production starts) and years of design and practical experience
> guiding it.  Something like the Glorious/Wilbury level of detail, in
> the body of a Ram/or Road Standard is what I would like to see. I
> could never afford it, but I still think that makes the most sense.

I have no horse to flog, cat to kill or bull to ride in all of this, since I
already have my perfect gofast Rivs, and two of them to boot, but again, I
think a return to the Rivendellian root of a lugged, steel, "blue collar"
gofast, BUT with that special Grant touch in fit and handling, might well be
a financial success as well as a boon to the perceptive roady cycling
public.

I think of my first Waterford built custom Riv, delivered in 1995. (This one
was really custom, since it took All Rounder sizing and road tubing and lugs
and crown and geometry and made it into a 559 gofast road bike. Now if Grant
built that in 2009 with all of the 14 years' added experience and
improvements (my '99 and '03s are far better in design), but with the
already excellent quality of that much more basic frameset, you would have
an excellent but relatively inexpensive (I would guess Ram or Atlantis
quality) roady frameset.