On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 2:41 PM, avillage <avill...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Hi, there. I'm getting ready to set up my Bleriot for commuting. I use
> it that way now but I wear a day pack with all my stuff and I want to
> get it off my back. I'm investigating racks, bags, baskets, trunks,
> all trying to decide the best arrangement. My current thinking is a
> large basket on a rack (Nitto) on the back which would allow me to
> pack a cheap duffle bag, throw it in the basket and secure it with a
> net. Easy to get stuff in and out plus I can haul some other stuff. My
> past experience from 25 years ago commuting on a Trek 500 with a rack
> was that the weight on the backend made it more difficult to handle
> (it felt heavy in the rear). I need about 1,500 cubic inches of room.
> Any experience, suggestions, downright advice out there? I'd enjoy
> your ideas.

My experience is just the opposite: with a Rivendell, as with many other
bikes, weight in panniers affects handling least (I had a Fuji something or
other that handled better with 30 lb of panniered groceries).

I've long used saddlebags for heavier loads, but recently bought two Flys
and an assortment of panniers of different sizes, that I can choose among
for different loads. It's nice not having to carry around an empty Camper or
Adam when all I need to carry is tools and tubes; OTOH, it's nice to have
panniers that hold my laptop without it bumping my thighs and swaying.

I routinely carry 40 lb of groceries on my 1973 Motobecane Grand Record with
skinny, thin  and flexy 531 tubing, with the stout rack. It handles fine. I
can carry as much on my Riv commuter, except that I prefer to carry less for
the sake of the skinny rear tire (tho' the 559 Turbo was sold to tandem
teams, I was told by the owner of Tandems East). (I weigh 170.)

A big basket on a rack will also be harder to swing your leg over; even with
fat panniers I swing my leg over the bar, but I like low bars. I'm getting
(God willing) a mixty to use as a grocery bike to solve that problem.

FWIW, the Adam weighed circa 2.5 lb, the Fly weighs a claimed (I've not
weighed it) 12 oz, and my smallest pannier weighs 1 lb.