On Feb 17, 12:18 pm, wile <dylanmcner...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm with Jim on this one.  I think higher price usually means parts
> are stronger and will last longer (though they may also weigh less).
> I used to believe the internet hype that the only difference between
> Ultegra and Dura Ace was weight, but after several Ultegra failures, I
> did some research.  It turns out that (at least with the newer
> derailleurs) Dura Ace components are made with a higher quality alloy,
> and are cold-forged, which produces a much stronger product than the
> Ultegra parts, which use the traditional forging process.  I was
> rather disappointed when my right shifter (Ultegra) failed after about
> 12K miles and then internet searches found hundreds of people who had
> experienced the same thing.  However, Dura Ace failures don't seem so
> commonplace.  After a couple more months, I had a catastrophic rear
> derailleur failure (Ultegra), where the inner cage plate simply broke
> in half.  When I look closely at the metal where the break is, it
> almost looks like a cast part.  You can tell the difference between
> the two metal processes by the level of polish on the parts, as well
> as the roundness of component angles when compared side by side.  Both
> with Shimano and Campy, the more angular pieces, with various chamfers
> and detail indicate cold-forging, whereas the standard forging process
> seems to require bulbous pivot points, etc.  I'm not in any way a
> metalurgist - this is just my perception from what I've read.  I'm
> sure someone on the list can correct my assumptions.

One other difference between DA and Ultegra shifters, especially STI
which CANNOT be rebuilt, is the warranty. DA parts have 3 year
warranty; Ultegra and the rest of Shimano line up has only two years.
This may not sound like alot, but Shimano 9 STI shifters were know to
have problems. Those with DA had that extra year to get them replaced
and at $250+ per shifters was a good thing. Its my understanding that
Shimano replaced alot of its 9 speed shifters under warranty.Brewster