On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 8:04 AM, pcooley <pcoo...@cybermesa.com> wrote:

> I should have asked before I ordered them, but has anyone tried the
> OYB Normal bags?  They are here:
> http://www.outyourbackdoor.com/article.php?id=198

Those are Swedish military surplus, I think, and sold by Jeff Potter, long
time iBoblist member.

I've adapted one for my Fly racks (pics if you want) and it works very well.
The overall volume is about the equivalent of 2 Banana bags and works very
well for warmer weather day rides or for shorter cold weather rides: I can
carry the usual repair kit and tubes, Quicker minipump, samiches, wallet,
cell and 12 oz bunch o' keys (there is a smaller pocket outside the main
one), and have room for the hat and neck gaiter when things get too warm.

I think Jeff said that he relies on the metal strap loops to attach the bag
to the racks. Instead, I used, first, old Baggins straps; then modified mine
with two slight pieces of wood bolted to either side of the back of the bag
just under the flap, to which I screwed two 59cent hardware store hooks,
wrapped in electrician's tape. To the bottom loops, where the waist strap
attached, I tied a section of innertube with it's own S hook that hooks into
the eye at the bottom of the rack to hold the upper hooks in tension. It
works well.

Note though that even two would be rather small for real commuting or
errands. Better for that would be the two inexpensive Delta panniers I
recently got, too.

As for hitting the cantis: I don't have cantis on my racked bikes, but I
have a problem with heel strike. I ensure clearance by (1) mounting my racks
as far aft as I can -- the Fly has a single strut that lets you adjust this
-- and by also mounting my larger bags -- Ortleib Packers and the Deltas --
as far back on the racks as I can. (The be-racked Riv and the Motobecane
have 44 1/2 cm stays and I wear size 10 shoes.) It works fine and affects
load and handling not a wit.