On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Bill M. <bmenn...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Richard,
>
> I received a brown Velo Orange Model 6 saddle this week to try on my
> '95 Riv Road.:
>
> http://www.velo-orange.com/vosaddlemodel6.html
>
> It *appears* to be the same saddle as the Soma Cardiff Cambria:
>
> http://store.somafab.com/calesa.html
>
> The Cambria in turn looks just like the saddle sold elsewhere as the
> Cardiff Gull.
>
> I bought the VO because I wanted to try a narrow saddle (I'm treating
> my Riv as a go-fast bike these days - I've also lowered the bars a
> bit), and my old B17 wasn't working well for that.  It has also become
> rather lopsided after maybe ten years of use, and I wanted to get back
> 'on the level'.
>
> The VO appears to be well-made.  The leather is firm but with a little
> give (unlike the Selle Anatomica, which is very soft from the start).
> It looks good, but the color and matte finish of the VO lack the
> 'depth' of the Brooks.
>
> I've only ridden the VO around the block (which is actually a few
> miles in the farmlands just east of my house) so I can't say too much
> yet about its comfort.  I didn't hurt after that short ride, though,
> which I can't say about the last plastic saddle I tried.  I'll get in
> a longer ride today and see it I can adapt to the narrow saddle.
>
> [snip]

Keep us apprised of how the VO saddle works, in particular, how it compares
with the Brooks Pro, which was the only Brooks that was almost comfortable
for me. Even more particular, is it very sensitive to tilt (ie, nose angle)
with lower bars? I could never get the Pro just right: I was either sliding
forward or goosing myself. I don't have that problem with Flites and Turbos.

The VO site says that it is 150 mm wide, which is pretty close to the width
of the original model Flites and Turbos I use, so perhaps it could be the
first Brooks type saddle to work for me. But I'd like a bit more feedback
before shelling out $85 plus shipping -- tho' that is an excellent price for
a decent saddle -- used Flites and Turbos in good condition are going for
more than that on ebay.