On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Patrick in VT <psh...@drm.com> wrote:

> to be clear, I'm not knocking the QB in anyway or suggesting that any
> of the bikes i mentioned are necessarily better options.  ss/fixed
> gear riding is different for everyone.  i'm sure the slack angles and
> long wheelbase of the QB yield exactly the kind of handling that some
> want out of a bike regardless of drivetrain (which is why I still
> think the QB should come with horizontal dropouts and a derailer
> hanger!!)
>
> personally, when I ride fixed, I tend to ride more aggressively - i
> don't want my bars high (b/c i'm out of the saddle more), i don't need
> the stability and feel of a longer wheelbase (b/c i'm typically not
> carrying too much) and i appreciate a bike that is more responsive to
> my inputs.  in short, I like to take advantage of racier geometry when
> i only have one gear.  it makes a real difference, especially when
> climbing.

Patrick: I too like to ride agressively and like my bars  defiantly and
uncanonically low (tho' for some strange reason my agressive riding produces
rather disappointing times); anyway, for me, a huge part of the *fun* of
riding is riding energetically -- not by any means to the gagging point (any
more), but I like to work up a sweat. The customs I have, both fixed with
moderate angles (73 st, 72.5 head) and 44 1/2 inch chainstays to
mid-horizontal dropout, are wonderfully quick handling bikes in corners (one
of them used to be a derailleur bike, so I have been able to test its high
speed cornering in a way one can't with a fixie), while still being stable
in a straight line, an elusive and almost paradoxical combination, but one
of the principal elements in my appreciation of Grant designs.  And they
climb wonderfully.

Oh, and fwiw, these same bikes (well, one of them, the one that has a Fly on
; the gofast only has a country bag) will very courteously and happily carry
a 40 lb load in the rear.

Now I expect that the QB, being an all rounder, may be more staid, but if
retains *anything* of this quality, it won't by any means be a sluggish or
disappointing ride, and I am sure those who actually have ridden one and
know (unlike me) what they are talking about will confirm this.