On Mar 24, 6:43 pm, MichaelH <mhech...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's there rather telling response:
> "6 S&S couplings add about 3 pounds to a tandem frame.
>
> You're right about weight differences and lifting.  In the world of
> tandems, you'll find some amazing weight claims that are.....well.....
> let's say.... less than truthful. For instance, I once had a customer
> bring in his $20,000 (that's not a typo) carbon fiber travel tandem
> for us to see.  He told me that it was 29 pounds.  When we had the
> bike in the repair shop (we were fixing a flat tire) I went back and
> weighed it with our digital scale.  It was 39 pounds.  I didn't tell
> him, but I wanted to know for myself how much the bike actually
> weighed.   I wrote an article about truth in weight publishing if
> you'd like to read it, let me know and I'll send it to you."

I don't know what parts were put on that tandem to make it weigh
39lbs, but Calfee, the builder of the carbon tandem, list the weight
of his Dragonfly tandem frame at under 6lb:

*With a frame weight of less than 6 pounds, the Dragonfly Tandem
weighs in as the world's lightest tandem! *

http://calfeedesign.com/tandem.htm

Note - he now makes bamboo tandems too!