I'm trying to figure out the right frame size for a possible next
bike-project.  I want a "Rivendell fit" with bars about level with
saddle, and somewhere around "a fistful" of seatpost showing.  I'm
about 5ft 10in tall; PBH is 86cm in bare feet, 87cm in my SPD bike
shoes; preferred crank length is 172.5 or 175mm.  Saddle height on
current bike is comfortable at ~77cm.

I'm reading Riv's fit guidelines at
http://www.rivbike.com/article/bike_fit/choosing_a_frame_size and am
finding some confusing points.  Starting from "How to Size any Bike,
Including Ours", they use an example PBH of 85cm, and suggest that a
corresponding saddle height is 75cm -- or 10cm less than the PBH.  So
far, I'm OK with that: my saddle height is around 10cm less than my
PBH (especially accounting for my shoes).

Next Riv suggests that a good bike size is saddle height minus 15cm.
In my case, that's 86cm - 15cm = 61cm, or accounting for shoes, 87cm -
15cm = 62cm.  Again, I'm in agreement with that:  Most non-Riv 62cm
frames I've straddled have been a bit "snug" but not overly so in
standover height -- that is to say, the top tube touches but not
dangerously so.  And I could definitely fit on a 60cm frame, but I'd
need a taller quill stem, or some extra spacers in a threadless setup,
and of course there'd be more seatpost showing.

Now, on to the next section on Riv's page: "Sizing Rivendells (the
bikes we design)"....  If you look at the frame-size chart they
provide, for 86-87cm PBH measurements, they recommend 59-61cm frame
sizes!  Here's where I'm confused -- most Riv frames have a lower BB
than a typical/average frame, up to 1cm lower.  Most of Riv's sizing
theory says something like "you can straddle a bigger one-of-our-bikes
than one-of-theirs", so I've always thought that a correct Riv size
would be 1cm larger than a "typical" frame size (and by typical frame
I mean 1980's UJB steel frame or similar).  Taking the previous frame
size result of 61-62cm, that'd put me on a 62-63cm Riv.  HOWEVER that
chart points to a 59-61cm Riv frame for my body size -- which is
SMALLER than the first recommended "normal" size, and frankly sounds
too small!

For example, the 61cm AHH has an 8cm BB drop and standover is just
under 87cm -- that'd maybe be slightly too big for me (no clearance,
since it's the same as my shod PBH).  I guess the "Riv Size = usual
size + 1cm" formula doesn't directly apply to the AHH because the
larger tires cancel out the added BB drop?  The 59cm AHH frame has
85cm of standover, which seems about right (about an inch of PB/TT
clearance)...BUT a friend of mine rides this size, and he's always
been on shorter/smaller bikes than me...so a 59cm sounds too small
somehow.

In contrast, the 61cm Atlantis has a standover of 85cm, so that'd fit
me with the right clearance.  Why that frame would fit but the
same-size AHH wouldn't, isn't clear to me -- looking at their
geometries, both have the same BB drop, similar size tires, the same
seat-tube angle, and both have slightly-sloping top tubes.

The Legolas frame is more typical since it has a standard 70mm BB
drop.  (Ignoring the fact that it's intended as a CX bike, which might
indicate more-than-usual SO clearance) I could ride a 62cm size since
its standover is 86.2, but clearance might be tight.  The next smaller
size is 59cm with 84.3cm standover.

The Quickbeam frame is also fairly "normal" with a 73mm BB drop. The
62cm frame size has a standover of nearly 87cm (too big), but the 60cm
size's SO is about 85cm.

Now let's compare those data points with a fairly typical non-Riv
steel frame: A Surly Pacer (level top tube, 72.5-degree seat tube
angle, 72mm BB drop).  The 62cm frame size has a standover measurement
of just under 86cm, and the 60cm size's SO is 84cm (based on 700x25mm
tires).  Riv's Rambouillet frame has similar values at the same sizes.

Overall, it sounds like I could ride a bigger Pacer frame than most
Rivendell frames -- which seems utterly counter-intuitive to me, since
most Riv frames have lower BBs!

If anyone has a PBH of 86-87cm, I'd be very interested to hear what
size frame(s) you've chosen (both Riv and non-Riv) and why.

Thanks!
-Jim G