Garth
         More options May 3, 9:03 am
From: Garth <garth...@gmail.com>

Of course, it's nice to have a choice of BB spindle to use !

To further that..... think about the effect on the chainline between
the 107mm and the 113/115 "recommended" by Sugino and most retailers.
The common road triple is about 45mm(measured center seat tube to
center of middle ring). Mtb triples are spec'd 47.5 and up.  So, Riv
is giving you a pretty tight chainline(for a triple), I don't know
what it is w/107 BB, but I bet it's 45mm or less. This works best if
you ride mostly in the two big rings, which most road riders do. If
you wanted to use the 2 smaller rings mostly.... to get the most
usable gears in the small ring you would be better off using a longer
spindle. A 113/115 would add 3/4mm to the chainline. That puts it in
the Mtb small ring rider category.

That's the beauty of a cartridge style BB too..... you can adjust the
chainline with different spindles or use spacers to get it wherever
you wish. Even if say.... a 107 BB was a bit too tight on a frame, you
may be able to just add a 1mm spacer inside the drive side cup so the
small ring clears the frame adequately.

That's why tapered cranks and cartridge BB's are so sweet.
Versatility.