In my days as an aeronautical quality engineer, I used a dye check
method for finding cracks in metal. A red dye was painted on, then
cleaned off. Then a white powdery developer was sprayed on. It pulled
the red dye out of any cracks (even minute ones not visible to the
eye) and made them very evident. This took no special lighting. I'm
betting that the dye and developer is available fairly cheaply.

Rob