David,

   What rim are you using?  We need to know because every tire is
slightly different width depending on the rim. A 28mm tire is not just
28mm. I wish manufacturers would say when they give a tires width....
it's xx mm's wide on a xx mm wide rim.

 That said, after 3 or 4 pairs of tires separating......
David .......it's time for a new tire!  They don't appear to be ruff
or tuff, so..... unless you're a glutton for disappointment, stop
putting up with them!  You gave them more than a fair shot.... time
for a change.

 I know what you're asking for is tough..... what you'd like is a
bunch of tires at your disposal to mount and see how wide and much
volume they have..... yes?

My first thought is .... Vittoria Randonneur's. Try the Cross. They
come in a 28,32 and 35. You can get them at REI.
http://www.rei.com/product/709112
They are a little heavier.... but as always one must look into why
they are heavier. More rubber and double shielding . If they fall
apart, REI will take care of it. They also sell a Panaracer Crosstown
in a 32mm, which may work as they run a little narrow. It's heavy too,
but it's because of all that tread and super puncture resistance!  I
use these in a 35(34 actual on a 24mm rim) and they are great on paved
and back roads. Loads of Air volume.

Or just stick with a Pasela 32.