Robert,

Your description, and the photos, certainly make me remember some of
the times I've been in a heavy rainfall on a bicycle (something that
hasn't happened too often since I moved to Tucson!).  I used to
commute by bicycle when I lived in Boulder, CO.  There were days when
returing home in the afternoon after work definitely resulted in being
completely soaked!

So far, this year, we've had a magnificent total of 1.66 inches
measured rainfall in Tucson.  That doesn't hurt while cycling, but it
surely is noticeable in other ways.  Even the pricky pear cactus look
dried and shriveled!

Jim