On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Bill Rhea<billr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there a campground at the top of Page Mill?  Are you thinking of
> Black Mouintain (http://www.openspace.org/activities/
> ideas_for_campers.asp)?

That's the spot. I've camped there several times. Campers are alone in
what might as well be the middle of nowhere, although it's so near
Silicon Valley. One has to hike or bike in, so campers are never
bothered by noisy motorists. The running water is not potable, but one
can easily carry water or a water filter.

> Another possibility could be to descend on the hike n' bike at Half
> Moon Bay SP. There is also camping in Portola State Park, but it is a
> mighty steep climb coming out...

In the past, riders could exit Portola Redwoods by riding out on Old
Haul Road, a fire road, to Memorial Park. The last time I camped at
Portola Park I got a rude shock when I found out Old Haul Road was
closed and I'd have to ride back up that mighty steep road. I don't
know if Old Haul Road is open again.

Sanborn Park, at the top of Sanborn Road (above Saratoga), could be a
perfect overnight getaway. It's not as much climbing as Black
Mountain, but still a respectable distance.

If we got a group together including someone from Palo Alto, we could
camp at Foothills Park, another delightful campground. I'm fond of
Grant Ranch Park partway up Mount Hamilton Road, though from my house
it involves a tedious ride through San Jose before one gets to the
good stuff. Other possibilities would be Castle Rock, Memorial Park,
Big Basin and Butano Park.

--
-- Anne Paulson

My hovercraft is full of eels