When I was on bike patrol I would have loved to have a Rivendell.  I
actually took one of our first steel Trek mountain bikes with a rigid
frame/fork that was in storage and made some modifications.  I drilled
out the holes where the reflectors were and mounted some long reach
ultegra brakes, found some 700c hybrid wheels and mounted continental
city ride 700x35 tires.  I took the flat bars off and put on some drop
bars with suntour friction bar end shifters.  It was a sweet setup.  I
tried to get a purchase order approved for a cyclocross bike but they
never would.  One of the reasons our bikes were in such bad shape was
when you had something go wrong with it you had to take it to the
contract bike shop to get a quote, then put in a purchase req., and
then wait for it to return which could be 2,4, or 30 weeks away.  You
then took it to the bike shop to get fixed.  I found it was easier to
buy my own Park advanced tool repair kit and do the work my self.
Some of the bike shops woud give me a discount on parts I bought so I
could fix my bike and would even let me use one of their repair stands
if I needed it during work.