I tour and do long day rides on a B17 saddle with MUSA shorts and
loose, cotton knit boxers (Hanes?).  Saddle soreness is never an
issue.  I never would have believed this possible back in my bike shop
days, when I recommended padded shorts for any kind of "serous"
riding... What a bunch of hooey!

I think the key is to go big and loose both on the shorts and boxers
in order to stay cool and comfy.  I've got a size 36 waist but ride
with some big-ass boxers (size 40!) and size XL MUSA's.  My kids make
jokes when I'm folding laundry (serious tent-size proportions), but
what price comfort?

Probably shared more detail than y'all wanted to hear ;-)

-br