on 6/25/09 2:47 PM, GeorgeS at chobur...@gmail.com wrote:

> I don't regularly ride on dirt or gravel except when I come to Vermont
> in the summer.  Now I'm riding on gravel all the time and I find
> descents in particular very unpleasant.  Lots of bouncing around and
> skittishness.  One of my bikes has 700c Grand Bois tires and the other
> has Ruffy Tuffy's.  I have plenty of clearance on both bikes.  Are
> there tires that will make me feel more comfortable that won't break
> the bank?  Jack Browns?  Fatty somethings?

Jack Brown Greens have become my favorite tire. On my commute home, I can
loop out and pick up some singletrack, which is typical mid-Cal trail
conditions with smooth dirt with bumps and fist sized rocks embedded in the
surface. Plus, they've done very well on the network of fire roads, which
are semi-graded dirt surfaces.

Before those existed, I was pretty happy with 32 mm Paselas.  If I need a
little gription, I'll run a 35 mm cross (treaded for cyclocross) tire. They
all end up with a fair bit of deflection when I press my thumb directly in
from the tread (not pinching the sidewalls).

However, I'd say that if you are "bouncing around", you might want to
experiment a little bit with pressures.  That's usually an indicator that
the pressure you are running is not letting the suspension (tires) do its
thing. I'm not sure what the size of the GB tires is (RT's are 28's,
right?).  Running 28 mm tires a bit softer tended to generate a fair number
of pinch flats for me.  For my riding style, size and conditions, 32 - 35
seems to be a good place.

hope that helps,

- Jim

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Three T-shirts Now Available:
"I've Got Downtube Shifters..." S/S T-shirt
Cyclocross - "More Cowbell" L/S T-shirt
"One Cog - Zero Excuses" L/S T-shirt
http://www.cyclofiend.com/stuff

SHIPPING FOR FREE IN THE CONUS through July!

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes