> I'll second Marty's sentiments - as I was almost picked off by a
> shirtless rider on a beach cruiser who ran through a red light this
> morning.

There is a subset of cyclists in Chicago who apparently believe it a
birth right to ignore traffic controls of any kind.  To date I've
stayed away from the car / cyclist debate on the topic as I neither
own a car nor disobey traffic signals riding my bike.

Of late, however, I have had several near run ins with cyclists
blithely ignoring stop signs, traffic lights and one way street
direction markers.  Most ignore me as I take all efforts necessary to
avoid contact.  Some smirk.  A few offer a tart apology while
continuing the illegal behavior.

A real hazard.