Yup, it's a Swiss Army 'bread bag' - somebody identified it for me off
list. Now, before you go out and buy one (they are absurdly cheap, I
found), here my story:

I've been riding with this bag since we found it, a few days.
Yesterday I was riding downtown, with a couple books and a u-lock in
it. All of a sudden, my rear wheel locked up and I came screeching to
a halt. Bewildered, I looked back to find that one of the leather
straps on the bag had come off and the pannier had swung into my
spokes and jammed into the rack and frame. I spent much of last night
truing and replacing bent spokes.

Upon closer inspection I found that the straps were not very well
secured - just some small tacking and a bit of stitching. This is
surprising, but perhaps if it really was for bread then it wasn't
meant to carry much weight. In any case, this will need to be
improved. I ordered a few of these bags the other day and plan on
taking one apart to see how it is constructed - especially where load-
bearing and reliability are concerned.

wc.